Saturday 14 March 2009

Work

I hate Saturdays.

I know that puts me at odds with the majority of people but there it is. The reason for this strange & unusual deviation from the norm is that I work Saturdays and it's my longest day. If I worked the same hours for myself (i.e. doing my photography) I know the time would pass much more quickly because I enjoy it. I've worked 12 hour Saturdays (and more) doing weddings and it passes in the blink of an eye because 1) it's so hectic and 2) I'm enjoying myself.

However, here I am again, answering calls from somebody else's customers. It wouldn't be so bad if I could deal with their queries but they're either not listening to the recorded message (Yes I know they're annoying but there's no other way to do it) or they're just going ahead and pressing an option they know does not apply to them. Come on people!

To get through to me you have to have pressed 1 of 3 options
1) Technical or Network Faults
2) Lost or Stolen (after Customer Services have closed)
3) PUK codes (again after CS have closed)
Where in that are you led to believe that I can tell you how much your bill is this month? Or how many of your free minutes you have left? What about sorting out your upgrade? Nope - I didn't think so.

Obviously this wouldn't be a problem if I worked when customer services were open but I work 'till midnight and they're all closed by 10 (8 at weekends). Most of them close 2 hours earlier. I'm sorry - really I am. I know you think I'm just saying that but I really do wish ours wasn't the only 24/7 department. My life would be SO much easier. I'm also sorry that at least half of you think I'm lying when I say "it's not that I won't help you, I can't help you". Really. I don't have any of your details. Honestly. If I could do whatever unimportant, crappy little thing it is you want me to do don't you think I'd do it rather than have you verbally abuse me for 20 minutes? Jesus. And (whilst I'm at it) I have absolutely no control over customer services opening hours, how much you're charged, the fact your son/daughter/brother/dog has signed you up for a premium sex-chat service or the fact you've lost your brand new phone and you don't have insurance.

I will try my best to help - really I will. It's the way I was raised (thanks Mum!) I will happily go above and beyond but when will you all understand that I'm unlikely to do this if you're rude, arrogant or condescending. Definitely if you're condescending. (Note - no matter how nice you are I will not order you a pizza, phone you a taxi or tell you what colour my underwear is)

Just don't get me started on the obscene phone calls. Really. (Honestly, what's wrong with you people?!)

Well. That's my lunch hour finished. Back to it. The pubs are open now so you can just imagine how much worse things are about to get. It's a good job I haven't completely lost my sense of humour...

No comments:

Post a Comment